July 3, 2007

be still.

at Campfire! on Friday night, after we sang and had a devotion and sang some more around the fire, we put out the lamps and had five minutes of silence/prayer/standing in wonder of God's amazing creation and the beautiful starry sky. i don't think i can quite explain how awesome that was and just how at peace with God i felt at the moment. it was an amazing experience!

people don't stand still or just stop enough in this crazy, hectic world that runs 24/7. and if it ever did stop, i doubt it would be to reflect on God. I'm going to do that more often. i think it's a very important part of a Christian's life. silence and being still before God.



Be still, for the presence of the Lord,
The Holy One is hear.
Come bow before Him now,
In reverence and fear.
In Him no sin is found,
We stand on holy ground.
Be still, for the presence of the Lord,
The Holy One is hear.

2 comments:

Ben said...

Yeah! I had forgotten about how awesome it is to do that at camp. There's been a few times in my life when I just know that everything is true. I just know it. I can't explain it any other way. One of those times was at camp, during one of those stargazing moments. The God who made those stars cares for me. I should shutup and enjoy grace.

You know how we talk about good works being "fruits of thankfulness?" I think those times are the thankfulness. And then the good comes from being still. Not from working our butts off for some cause or another. We use the analogy of a tree, bearing fruit, to describe this. Do you really think a tree has to force fruit out of it? Or does the fruit just grow? I think that if the tree is indeed a tree, then the fruit just grows. That kinda seems to indicate that all we have to do is be a good tree, and stand there, planted in the Word of God, being still in His grace. That seems to me to be where fruit would come from, as opposed to from a crew of crazed lunatics running around like chickens without heads pursuing goodness and working and trying to prove that they're in the grace of God.

Sorry for the flippin' tangent.

Thanks for praying for me, with my wisdom teeth.

Carol-Lee Joy said...

amen.

thanks for the tangent. it was a good one:)