January 18, 2007

How Much Does Your RoadGuide Mean to You?

"You each need your own RoadGuide. All who walk the red road must read it. Repeat its words until they flow from your heart like water from a fountain. You must study the map, or you will get lost…or stray from the road…or be unprepared for what you encounter on it."

"You’re always reading it," Victoria said. "Can’t we just follow your lead? Besides, the red road is obvious, isn't it?"

"The book is your guide, your compass. Don't underestimate your ability to depart from the true road. Don't trust your instinct of your logic - don't even trust me. I don't trust myself. Trust only the RoadGuide."

I turned through the pages, reading instructions here and there, looking at the maps, scanning the many stories of those who'd walked the red road before.

. . . Everyone got up but Quon, already lost in the pages of the book. I had to pull him up, and even then he kept his nose in the book as he walked. I had to occasionally grab his arm to keep him from stumbling. Half the time he didn't even notice.

(Edge of Eternity, by Randy Alcorn, pages 150-51; definately a recommended book if you liked Pilgrim's Progress!)

RoadGuide - Bible ; Red road - Narrow path to life in Christ

Wouldn't it be wonderful to have such a renewed love for the Bible like Quon's love for it? We often hastily do devotions, thinking about all the things we have to do. We don't give God's Word, or Him, the time He deserves as our Father, Creator, Redeemer, and King.

"My soul faints for Your salvation, But I hope in Your word. Oh, how I love your law! It is my meditation all the day." Psalm 119:81, 97

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm trying to read Edge of Eternity right now too ... between everything else.
So right, though ... If we are constantly following the road map, it will be harder and harder for us to get lost! Not only that, but following the road will constantly become less about us and more about Him!
I miss you!

Anonymous said...

You do know that you have one of my favorite passages up on the top of your blog? :) Good choice, good choice

Carol-Lee Joy said...

Did you know that one of my favorite verses is on top of yours?!!

Anonymous said...

Yes . . . you gave that to me the other day in an e-mail, remember? (Those texts really blessed me, by the way.) Also one of my sister's favorites. I kinda just keep changing the verse at the top of mine. There are so many good applicable ones!