February 1, 2007

The Awe of God's Creation

Today, mom took my brothers and two younger sisters to go skating and play hockey on an outdoor rink along Hwy 8. I decided to go along since Amy was at work. We skated for about an hour, and it was lightly snowing. A little while before we left, I was sitting on a chair watching them play hockey, and I looked down so see that my coat and mitts were lightly sprinkled with the most intricately designed snowflakes I have ever seen. They were absolutely beautiful. I just sat there looking at them. I can't describe how beautiful they were. Imagine the millions of uniquely designed snowflakes you are looking at when you look outside at the snow! And no two are exactly the same.

God not only created the complex snowflakes, but He also created you and me. We are like snowflakes. God created each and every one of us, and no two of us are the same. We are all unique and look, act, and talk different. Looking at those beautiful snowflakes reminded me of Psalm 8:3-5, "When I consider Your heavens, the work of Your fingers, the moon and the stars, which You have ordained, what is man that You are mindful of him, and the son of man that You visit him? For You have made him a little lower than the angels, and You have crowned him with glory and honor."

In the Bible, snow is a symbol for being cleaned or washed. Psalm 51:7, "Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean; wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow." Isaiah 1:18, "'Come now, and let us reason together,' says the Lord, 'Though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are red as crimson, they shall be as wool.'" Snow tainted by sand and dirt is like us stained by our sin. We need the blood of Jesus to cleanse us, to make us as clean as pure white snow. We need our Savior to take out the dirt of sin from our lives and make us clean and new again.

"Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new. For He made Him who knew no sin to be sin for us, that we might become the righteousness of God in Him." 2 Corinthians 5:17, 21

"And you, who once were alienated and enemies in your mind by wicked works, yet now He has reconciled in the body of His flesh through death, to present you holy, and blameless, and above reproach in His sight." Colossians 1:21-22

4 comments:

Ben said...

A few months ago it struck me that blood makes people dirty. "He's got blood on his hands" usually means that the person we're talking about is guilty. Imagine blood on snow... gross. But Christianity openly admits that we're washed in blood, and not only blood, but the blood of the most innocent man who ever lived.
and we say this makes us clean! Cleaner than snow!I think it is awesome that our beliefs are so wierd and backwards and contrary to popular belief.

Anonymous said...

Amen . . . I love snowflakes and all the amazing implications - God's care and love being shown in the dainty detail being the most important.

Carol-Lee Joy said...

Wow Ben, that's an interesting thought too!

God's love is so amazing! I like your thought Amy about God's love shown in the 'dainty details'.

Jacinda Vandenberg said...

Carol-lee...that's beautiful! I just looked outside behind me and wow! what a vivid, tangible reminder....I love the way you bring that out....that's a post I know I'll be reading more than once! :)

love ya!

sorry...I haven't been too faithful....busy me....I'm only blogging about as much as you now...priorities eh? :)