April 5, 2007

He's Alive and I'm Forgiven

O Sacred Head, Now Wounded

Bernard of Clairvaux

O sacred Head, now wounded,

With grief and shame weighed down,

Now scornfully surrounded

With thorns, Thine only crown;

O sacred Head, what glory,

With bliss till now was Thine!

Yet, though despised and gory,

I joy to call Thee mine.

O noblest Brow and dearest,

In other days the world

All feared when Thou appearedst;

What shame on Thee is hurled!

How art Thou pale with anquish,

With sore abuse and scorn!

How does that visage languish,

Which once was bright as morn!

What Thou, my Lord, has suffered

Was all for sinners’ gain;

Mine, mine was the transgression,

But Thine the deadly pain.

Lo, here I fall, my Savior,

‘Tis I deserve Thy place;

Look on me with Thy favor,

Vouchsafe to me Thy grace.

What language shall I borrow

To thank Thee, dearest Friend,

For this Thy dying sorrow,

Thy pity without end?

O make me Thine forever;

And should I fainting be,

Lord, let me never, never

Outlive my love to Thee.

Mark 15:21-32

Then they compelled a certain man, Simon a Cyrenian, the father of Alexander and Rufus, as he was coming out of the country and passing by, to bear His cross. And they brought Him to the place Golgotha, which is translated, Place of the Skull. Then they gave Him wine mingled with myrrh to drink, but He did not take it. And when they crucified Him, they divided His garments, casting lots for them to determine what every man should take. Now it was the third hour, and they crucified Him. And the description of His accusation was written above: THE KING OF THE JEWS. With Him they also crucified two robbers, one on His right and the other on His left. So the Scripture was fulfilled which says, “And He was numbered with the transgressors.” And those who passed by blasphemed Him, wagging their heads and saying, “Aha! You who destroy the temple and build it in three days, save Yourself, and come down from the cross!” Likewise the chief priests also, mocking among themselves with the scribes, said, “He saved others; Himself He cannot save. Let the Christ, the King of Israel, descend now from the cross, that we may see and believe.”

I hate to think that in a sense, we are the ones mocking, beating, pounding the nails, accusing. When I think of it that way, the passage almost seems more horrible, and yet simply amazing because He was still willing to died for me.

Matthew 28:1-8

Now after the Sabbath, as the first day of the week began to dawn, Mary Magdalene and the other Mary came to see the tomb. And behold, there was a great earthquake; for an angel of the Lord descended from heaven, and came and rolled back the stone from the door, and sat on it. His countenance was like lightning and his clothing as white as snow. And the guards shook for fear of him, and became like dead men. But the angel answered and said to the women, “Do not be afraid, for I know that you seek Jesus who was crucified. He is not here; for He is risen, as He said. Come, see the place where the Lord lay. And go quickly and tell His disciples that He is risen from the dead, and indeed He is going before you to Galilee; there you will see Him. Behold, I have told you.” So they went out quickly from the tomb with fear and great joy, and ran to bring His disciples word.

Here is the joy in the cross and the empty grave. To think that Christ did all of this for me to make me His child and call me His daughter, and save me from my sin. Truly, amazing grace that saved a wretch like me!

Have a great Easter weekend everyone. Meditate on the love of our Savior and be refreshed by the hope His resurrection brings.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Blessings to you too, as we remember Chist's death and resurrection!
I love that song, its an old hynm but a nice one:)

Anonymous said...

These money lenders currently have facility to supply monetary aid for those persons, who have the blot on their own credit history [url=http://www.gtwtq.co.uk/]instant loans[/url] PIH Quick Loans Following this, the quantity of the loan will be direct deposited in the bank bank account of the customer http://www.vejhi.co.uk/