November 21, 2006

Tucked Away in the Prophets

I have been reading a lot of the prophets lately, and finding some really awesome verses. I don’t know about you, but I used to think the prophets were boring to read, because I they are all about God's wrath against the evil nations. But a little while ago, a good friend of mine put a verse from Lamentations at the bottom of her email. It was a really neat verse. So I read through at least five or six whole books from the prophets in one night. And I am reading through Isaiah as well. There are some pretty powerful verses in there, especially images of God's love and protectiveness to His people.

"But those who wait on the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles, they shall run and not be weary, they shall walk and not be faint." Isaiah 40:31

"Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, yes, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand." Isaiah 41:10

"Therefore with joy you will draw water from the wells of salvation." Isaiah 12:3

"Through the Lord's mercies we are not consumed, because His compassion's fail not. They are new every morning; great is Your faithfulness. 'The Lord is my portion,' says my soul, 'therefore I hope in Him.' The Lord is good to those who wait for Him, to the soul who seeks Him. It is good that one should hope and wait quietly for the salvation of the Lord." Lamentations 3:22-26

"The Lord you God in your midst, the Mighty One, will save; He will rejoice over you with gladness, He will quiet you with His love, He will rejoice over you with singing." Zephaniah 3:17

"'They shall be Mine,' says the Lord of hosts, 'on the day that I make them My jewels.'" Malachi 3:17a

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love Isaiah 61:10 "I will greatly rejoice in the LORD,My soul shall be joyful in my God; For He has clothed me with the garments of salvation, He has covered me with the robe of righteousness, As a bridegroom decks himself with ornaments, And as a bride adorns herself with her jewels.

Anonymous said...

I'm reading through Ezekiel right now. Its full of wrath, but there are some really cool images in it, like the first chapter where Ezekiel describes his vision of the Glory of God, and God makes him eat the scroll that holds His words of wrath, and he says they taste sweeter than honey. Its kind of amazing!

Anton

Anonymous said...

The prophets are some of my favorite books of the Bible. I love the fact that God over and over describes with horribly blunt language exactly what it is that we deserve in our sin . . . and then over and over declares, "But I will have mercy . . . I will relent . . . I am faithful". It is so humbling, and so encouraging at the same time! We deserve God's wrath, and yet he has sent the perfect lamb and in that we can become more than we ever dreamed!
Love you . . . e-mail's coming your way soon!

Carol-Lee Joy said...

Thanks for some wonderful comments, all of you!