December 6, 2006

Let Us Run . . .

A few weeks ago, I was very privileged to read a poem that my friend Maria wrote. It was an amazing poem based on Hebrews 12:1-2. She wanted to put it to music, and asked me to help her!! I felt very honored, especially since she doesn't usually show people her poems. With her permission, I am posting it here.
Let Us Run With Endurance (Heb. 12:1-2)
Surrounded by those witnesses
While we run our race
We follow their example
Their every step we trace.
Jesus has begun us in this race 1
He will guide us through it 2
Then we'll see Him face to face
At God's right hand He sits!
Let us run with endurance
The race that is set before us 3
Looking to Jesus who will
Guide and uphold us.
The world runs for an earthly crown
Finding joy for a day
They do all their pleasure
Living like here's where they'll stay.
We run for an everlasting crown 4
Lay all your sin aside
Earthly 'things' don't matter
'Cause in Him we abide!
Let us run with endurance
The race that is set before us 3
Looking to Jesus who will
Guide and uphold us.
We had to make a few changes with the words to make it work, but I came up with a melody and chords. I played it for Maria and she really liked it. When we showed it to our friend Jacinda and my sister Amy, they helped us figure out how to put in an echo for the chorus. It was so much fun. Thanks Maria for allowing me to help you put your poem to music. I look forward to doing more!
When I put it to music, we changed these words to:
1 He's begun us in this race
2 He will guide us through
3 The race that's set before us
4 We run for a lasting crown

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, you've got to stop posting these songs! They are making me way too homesick and excited to see you again!!!
Only 7 more days till I'm back in Canada . . . can't wait to hear all these masterpieces.

Carol-Lee Joy said...

7 more days? Yikes, I had no idea it was that soon! So, we'll have to start planning then . . .

Anonymous said...

AWESOME! I knew that song would eventually be made public! I can't wait to hear it again! on friday, maybe? might be nice to get it a lil more 'perfected' :) before we sing it to some other people! :)

way to go Maria and Carol-lee!

And amy....I'm counting down the days!

Anonymous said...

The music you wrote for it is beautiful Carol-Lee!!!

And Amy...i'm counting down the days too!

Steve said...

Nice work Maria and Carol-lee!

I'm looking fwd to hearing it..I hope an opportunity to take part in the music and poetry comes up in the next few weeks!

Did you know that's our theme verse for Camp Tamarack next year and we're looking for a theme song for it?

Wow - so many looking fwd to Amy's return! I hope you're all willing to "share" her with me a little bit. :)

Carol-Lee Joy said...

Of course! And I have to admit . . . we knew that was the theme verse for next year, that's why we chose that verse to write a song to!!